The judicial candidates talked about why it is so important that you care about who serves on your Court of Appeals.
The Texas District Courts of Appeals are distributed in fourteen districts around the state of Texas.
The Courts of Appeal have intermediate appellate jurisdiction in both civil and criminal cases appealed from district or county courts. Like the Texas Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeals, Justices of the Texas Courts of Appeals are elected to six-year terms by general election.
The Court of Appeals for the Fifth District of Texas at Dallas, which includes one Chief Justice and twelve Justices, has jurisdiction over appeals from both district and county courts located in Dallas, Collin, Grayson, Hunt, Rockwall and Kaufman counties.
No Democrats currently sit on Fifth Court of Appeals. In the 2012 General Election, five Democratic Candidates are running for the 5th Court of Appeals:
- Tonya Holt for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 11
- Penny Phillips for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 5
- Larry Praeger for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 12
- David Hanshen for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 9
- Dan Wood for 5th District Court of Appeals Place 2
Candidates in picture from left
- Lois Parrott for State Board of Education, District 12
- Jack Ternan for Texas Senate District 8
- Dan Wood for 5th of Court Appeals Place 2
- Penny Phillips for 5th Court of Appeals Place 5
- David Hanshen for 5th Court of Appeals Place 9
- Tonya Holt for 5th Court of Appeals Place 11
- Larry Praeger for 5th of Court Appeals Place 12